At SAMC, you’ll find volunteers from all walks of life from retirees to homemakers to new-comers into the community. Schedules are set to meet your individual needs and the needs of the department that you are serving. Preferred times are noted on the application. Assignments are made as often as possible, to meet individual requests. A minimum of four hours of service per week is requested, however, more time may be volunteered.
A TeenAge Volunteer (TAV) is a student age 14 or older in grades 9-12, who has a desire to volunteer his/her time and talent to help others. It is someone who believes that people can make a difference and who is willing to prove it.
- Have a real interest in volunteering
- Possess a good attitude
- Be dependable
- Have a genuine love for people
- Applicant is required to have and maintain a scholastic average of “C” or above.
- Must submit statement on his/her desire to work in a medical facility and/or health care field.
- Must provide names and addresses of two people from whom we can request references.
- Required to work a minimum number of hours per year. These hours must be served at 12 hours per month during the school year and 24 hours per month when school is out.
- Must be in good physical and emotional health.
- Must have parents’/legal guardian’s consent.
- Must complete a physical and have a TB skin test provided by SAMC.
- Gain new skills
- Build new friendships
- Make a difference in someone else’s life
- Keep active
- Ability to explore a possible career
- Take on new challenges
- Become a valued part of a team
- Senior TAVs can apply for college scholarships
Volunteers are interviewed and carefully placed in a service where their interests, talents and schedules complement SAMC’s needs. We provide an orientation and training program.
Orientation helps a volunteer to:
- Learn about the goals and visions of SAMC
- Become familiar with the hospital and various departments
- Meet other volunteers
- Receive special safety instructions
Training: Each volunteer begins with a temporary assignment and new volunteers are paired with experienced workers until they feel comfortable working alone.
Adult Volunteers wear a casual red coat (provided by SAMC) along with blue/black pants and a white shirt. TAVs are required to wear a uniform of navy blue pants and a green polo (provided by SAMC). All volunteers are required to wear the uniform and an identifying name badge while on duty. Above all, each volunteer wears a big smile.
If you are interested in volunteering at SAMC, please call 334-793-8122 or download one of the applications below.
TeenAge Volunteer (TAV) Application
Adult Volunteer Application
Please mail the completed forms to:
SAMC Volunteers Department
1108 Ross Clark Circle
Dothan, AL 36301
You may also deliver the completed packet to the Information Desk, located at Entrance 3.