Southeastern Cardiovascular Associates was established in 1985 by surgeon Edward J. Planz, MD, who performed Dothan’s first open heart surgery in January 1986. Dr. Planz retired in 2013.
Today the three surgeons of Southeastern Cardiovascular Associates include Steven Johnson, MD, who joined the group in 1996; Elias Quintos, who joined in 2014 and Joseph Graham, who joined in 2016. These three perform an average of 500 heart surgeries a year and specialize in the minimally invasive and surgical treatment of coronary artery disease, valve disease, carotid artery disease, atrial fibrillation, lung diseases and diseases of the chest cavity.
- Coronary artery bypass surgery, both on and off pump with minimal access vein and artery harvesting
- Valve repair/replacement of all cardiac valves
- Minimally invasive cardiac surgery
- Carotic artery and peripheral vascular surgery
- Abdominal and thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery, both open and endovascular techniques
- Arrhythmia surgery (surgical treatment of abnormal heart rhythms)
- Lung surgery, including robotic assisted
- Carotid Endarterectomy
All three surgeons are board certified by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. The practice offers state-of-the-art surgical treatment options, comprehensive care and 24-hour availability.