AltaCare can help cancer patients and their families by providing supportive psychiatric and counseling care. A cancer diagnosis is a traumatic and life-altering experience for the patient and the family. It calls for monumental adaptations to a life now filled with challenging new experiences: diagnostic tests, waiting for results, surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
Counseling and psychiatric evaluation can provide a safe, neutral setting for patients, family members and caregivers to talk about their feelings.
A few examples of topics for discussion:
- Exploring ways to cope with the diagnosis
- Managing emotional concerns: depression, anxiety, anger and confusion, fear, sadness, stress and grief
- Communicating effectively with a health care team
- Addressing relationship issues
- Dealing with stressful financial concerns
- Exploring options and getting feedback about important decisions
- Managing medications for those with a history of mental illness
- Considering workplace issues and strategies
- Discussing concerns with what comes next after treatment
Counseling Services provide licensed professional counselors who understand that mental health is vitally important to quality of life. Research indicates that an estimated 26% of Americans – including one in four adults – suffer from a mental disorder during any given year. Most people with mental disorders continue to function normally in their daily lives.
Unlike physical conditions, many people find it more difficult to reach out for help with emotional difficulties. However, these disorders are the leading cause of disability in the United States for individuals age 15-44. AltaCare’s trained professionals provide an evaluation and design a treatment plan to meet individual needs, such as reducing stress, enhancing relationships and improving overall quality of life.
AltaCare provides a psychiatric partial hospitalization program (PHP) for adults age 19 and older. Patients receive intensive daily treatment Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with one hour for lunch. They return to the comforts of home and family in the evenings. Partial hospitalization is often an efficient and cost effective level of care because it serves a variety of purposes. AltaCare’s multi-disciplinary team of professionals treats a full range of emotional problems. The treatment team may include:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Registered Nurse
Partial hospitalization can include:
- An intermediate level of care for patients who need more structure than traditional outpatient therapy can provide.
- A step-up from traditional outpatient care for patients who do not improve or whose condition worsens.
- A less costly alternative to inpatient care.
- A step-down from inpatient care that allows patients to gradually resume their roles in day-to-day living.
Services are provided in a structured, supportive environment and include:
- Multi-disciplinary assessment
- Group activities and therapy
- Individual therapy
- Individual and family psycho-education about mental health and/or substance use/abuse diagnoses, as applicable
- Psycho-education recovery and disease management
- Drug screening, as applicable
- Relapse prevention
- Crisis contingency planning
- Communication and social skills training
- Medical services, including education, medication management
- Service coordination and referral
- Treatment planning
- Expressive and relaxation therapy
- Substance abuse education
- Anger management
- Stress management
- Social development
- Women’s issues
- Men’s issues
- Cognitive behavioral strategies to better manage symptoms
- Assertiveness training
- Life skills
- Discharge planning
Psychiatry Services offered by AltaCare focus on comprehensive mental assessments, diagnosis and treatment of conditions. Outpatient psychiatry services include psychiatric evaluation and medication monitoring and are available to adults and adolescents age 13 and older.
Conditions we treat include:
- Acute stress
- Grief or loss
- Alcohol and substance abuse
- Bipolar disorder
- Personality disorder
- Behavioral health conditions