Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
As the region’s only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), our facility is designed to care for critically ill babies, premature newborns and infants requiring close observation.
Our unit is staffed 24/7 by a highly skilled and dedicated team of neonatologists, registered nurses and respiratory therapists. The SAMC NICU Transport Team is staffed by a neonatal team specially trained in transporting a critically ill newborn. The Transport Team is available around the clock to provide transport services for infants coming to the NICU.
Our NICU Team consists of:
- Physicians board certified in Neonatal Critical Care
- Physician board certified and fellowship trained in Vitreoretinal Medicine and Surgery
- Experienced nurses who have successfully completed the American Heart Association’s Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), S.T.A.B.L.E., S.T.A.B.L.E. Cardiac Program and Neonatal Transport Program
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and Certified Lactation Counselors
- Respiratory therapists with specialized pediatric training, the American Heart Association’s Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), and Neonatal Transport Program
- NICU Patient Education Coordinator to offer family support to address the unique needs of NICU families
- Multidisciplinary team which includes: case manager, dietician, pharmacist, speech therapists and physical therapists