Holiday security tips
Houston County Chief Deputy Jeff Carlisle gave a talk on home security to the 2nd Cup of Coffee Senior Discovery group in SAMC's Terrace Cafeteria. Carlisle gave participants a home security checklist which included such items as:
- Lock all exterior doors at night and every time you leave the house.
- Have doors with wide-angle peep holes at heights all family members can use.
- Have dead-bolt locks on all exterior doors.
- Keep a spare key with a trusted neighbor instead of under a doormat or plant.
- Keep all windows locked.
- Install a dowel or pin to secure sliding glass doors to prevent them from being shoved aside or lifted off the track.
- Keep shrubs and bushes trimmed outside.
- Keep outdoor lights on in the evening.
- Stop mail and newspaper deliveries when away from home.
- Lock all outdoor sheds and gates.
- Secure bicycles with padlocks.
- Store firearms unloaded and locked in storage boxes with trigger guard locks.
- Inscribe electronic valuables with an identifying number approved by local police.
- Have an up-to-date home inventory with photos.