The staff of SAMC's Endoscopy Suites is dedicated to maintaining each patient's privacy, comfort and dignity throughout their procedure. The suites, staffed by a team of nurses specifically trained to assist the physicians (gastroenterologists, internists and surgeons) during the examinations, features the most modern instrumentation available.
During an endoscopy procedure, a physician views and examines internal structures using a flexible viewing tube (endoscope) which allows a three-dimensional color view without making an incision. The endoscope also allows for the removal and biopsy of tissue if needed. Common problems and symptoms that may require an endoscopy procedure include:
- Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Heartburn and regurgitation (GERD)
- Chronic and severe indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Frequent nausea and/or vomiting
- Severe/unexplained abdominal pain
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Severe/frequent stomach pain
- Chronic diarrhea
- Rectal bleeding
- Colon cancer screening
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
If you would like more information about SAMC's endoscopy suite, as well as information about common digestive problems, symptoms or procedures, call 334-712-3336 or 1-800-735-4998.