SAMC has clear vision when it comes to the early diagnosing of breast cancer. SAMC is the first hospital in Dothan to offer 3D mammography. This cutting edge technology can:
- Detect breast cancers up to 15 months earlier
- Reduce unnecessary callbacks by up to 40 percent
- Find 41 percent more invasive cancers than conventional mammography
How it Works
3D mammography allows doctors to examine your breast tissue layer by layer. So, instead of viewing all of the complexities of your breast tissue in a flat image, as with conventional 2D mammography, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by the tissue above or below.
What to Expect During Your Exam
The process of this exam is the same as your conventional 2D exam. The technologist will position you, compress your breast, and take images from different angles. There is no additional compression required, and it only requires a few extra seconds to receive a more accurate reading of the breast tissue.
The technologist will view the images of your breasts at the computer workstation to ensure quality images have been captured for review. A radiologist will then examine the images and report results to either your physician or directly to you.
3D mammography is covered by some insurance companies or you can pay a $70 cash price.
To find out if it is covered by your insurance or to schedule an appointment, please call 793-8006.
A cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming for patients and their families, which is why our patient navigators meet with patients, families and caregivers to:
- Educate patients about their diagnosis.
- Provide a customized resource guide with information about the diagnosis and treatment team.
- Coordinate an appointment with the SAMC Breast Cancer Treatment Team (Consisting of a skilled surgeon, medical oncologist and radiation oncologist).
- Connect patients to additional resources such as: a plastic surgeon, a clinical research trial coordinator and support services through the local American Cancer Society chapter.
- Provide emotional support throughout treatment and into survivorship.
Services offered at the Comprehensive Breast Center include:
- Screening mammograms (results available in 24 hours)
- Diagnostic mammograms (Should results dictate a need for biopsy, all efforts are made to provide same-day service.)
- Stereotactic breast biopsies
The facility and staff are accredited by the American College of Radiology as a National Breast Center of Excellence. All mammography technologists have received mammography certification from the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
The Pink Ambassadors meet the first Friday of each month (except January, July and September) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the SAMC Doctors Building, 7th floor Conference Room. Please call the Medical Call Center 334-712-3336 or 1-800-735-4998 to register.
I’m 2 Young 4 Breast Cancer
I’m 2 Young 4 Breast Cancer support group meets the third Tuesday of each month from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Women’s Center, third floor. Call Ladonna Danford, RN, Breast Health Navigator at 334-699-8111, ext. 8459 to register.
American Cancer Society sponsored groups:
Look Good, Feel Better
This program provides information about makeup, skin, nail care, wigs and other head coverings typically used during cancer treatment. This free workshop is facilitated by a trained ACS volunteer and held at SAMC every other month. For a complete schedule, consult the registration desk at Southeast Cancer Center, call 1-800-395-LOOK (5665) or visit lookgoodfeelbetter.org.
Reach to Recovery
Reach to Recovery volunteers offer understanding, support and hope because they themselves have survived breast cancer and gone on to live productive lives. Volunteers are trained to give support and up-to-date information, including literature for spouses, children, friends and other loved ones. These visits are either face-to-face or by phone call.
The Comprehensive Breast Center at SAMC offers superb patient-centered care. Our breast cancer treatment team meets with patients within one week of a breast cancer diagnosis. This multi-disciplinary team consists of:
- Board Certified Radiologist
- Board Certified General Surgeon
- Board Certified Medical Oncologist
- Board Certified Radiation Oncologist
- Registered Nurse Navigator (exclusive to SAMC)
- *Plastic Surgeon
During this consultation, the treatment team will:
- Discuss your diagnosis and treatment option.
- Present you with the most favorable treatment plan.
- Answer questions you or your family members may have.
- Conclude the meeting with an immediate plan of action.
Our elegant Women’s Center Boutique is on the 3rd Floor next to the Comprehensive Breast Center. The boutique has a variety of women-specific products, such as gifts, unique clothing and jewelry, purses, gowns and more. The Boutique is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, please call 334-699-4811.
To schedule a mammogram, call 334-793-8006 or 1-800-548-1537.
If needed, the Center can also assist patients in finding a physician.
The Comprehensive Breast Center is located on the third floor of the Women’s Center, which is most convenient to the west parking deck.
Comprehensive Breast Center
1108 Ross Clark Circle
Dothan, AL 36301